Kale-Yeah Soup Recipe
January 16, 2017
From The 22-Day Revolution Cookbook by Marco Borges
This kale soup is tasty and hearty – and it can easily become a go-to in your home. Kale is one of the most nutrient-rich foods around. It’s loaded in vitamins A, B6, C, K, manganese, calcium, potassium, magnesium and the omega-3 linolenic acid.
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil or oil of choice
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
1 large bunch lacinato kale, destemmed and roughly chopped, reserve 1 to 2 cups for kale chip garnish
6 cups vegetable broth, unsalted or low sodium
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat, and sauté the onions with garlic and a pinch of sea salt until the onions become translucent.
3. Add the cauliflower and about ½ teaspoon sea salt and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the kale, except for 1–2 cups reserved for kale chips. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer for 10–15 minutes until the cauliflower becomes tender.
6. To make the kale chips, thoroughly dry the remaining kale, toss with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and the rest of the sea salt and bake for 20 minutes or until crisp.
7. Let the soup slightly cool, then puree in a blender in batches until smooth and creamy.
8. Return the smooth soup to the pot and continue to simmer it at low heat for another few minutes. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
9. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with kale chips, and serve!