6 Vegan Cauliflower Rice Recipes
September 08, 2017
Whether you’re embarking on a 22-Day Revolution challenge, embracing healthier foods for fall, or simply want to try something new, cauliflower rice should be right up there on your bucket list. For one, it’s super easy. It’s also healthier for you than regular rice (more nutrients, fewer carbs). Finally, it’s super flexible and can be used in a variety of recipes. So, let’s get started with a quick tutorial on making cauliflower rice, then explore some delicious recipes!
Cauliflower Rice, Three Ways
There are a variety of methods to make cauliflower rice, depending on the tools and time that you have available. Pick one and roll with it, or try them all and stick with the one that works best.
Method One: Food Processor
All you need here is a head of cauliflower, chopped into pieces just small enough to pack into a food processor (or feed through the opening). Pulse a few times until the pieces are small enough, voila!
Method Two: Grater
No food processor, no problem! Just grab a cheese grater with medium-sized holes and gently grate the cauliflower.
Method Three: Knife
If you’re a more manual person, there’s nothing wrong with grabbing a chef’s knife and chopping away. Ideally, you want the pieces to be roughly rice-sized, so it has the same general texture once cooked.
Note: All of these methods can be a bit messy (cauliflower usually is). Embrace it and have fun with your cooking :)
Exploring Cauliflower Rice Recipes
Once you have your cauliflower downsized to rice-like pieces, you’re ready to embark on a fun journey of finding the perfect recipe. Fortunately, there are lots of recipes you can try. Here are a few of our top choices:
1. Easy Cauliflower Rice: Sauté in a large pan, covered, with a bit of oil for 5-8 minutes. Feel free to add some herbs and spices to suit your taste. Some ideas include adding a teaspoon or more of curry powder, Italian herbs or chili powder.
2. Cauliflower Rice Pizza: Use your cauliflower rice to make a delicious, gluten-free pizza crust!
3. Cauliflower Risotto: Like the rice dish, but a bit creamier.
4. Mock Maki Rolls: Just because you’re not eating rice doesn’t mean you can enjoy some hand-rolled sushi!
5. Cauliflower Fried Rice: From Japanese to Chinese, there are quite a few meals that can use cauliflower instead of rice, so explore the world!
6. Lettuce Wraps: This recipe had us at Sriracha peanut sauce. Yum.
Tip: Save time by prepping in advance. You can freeze raw cauliflower rice in freezer bags, then simply thaw or steam when you need them.
But don’t stop there! You can create endless possibilities with a little cauliflower rice and ingenuity. Hearty and filling, you’ll soon wonder why you ever needed rice in your life now that you have healthy cauliflower.